Yard Waste collection will officially begin on Monday April 3rd. Leaves & grass clippings must be contained in either a paper lawn & leaf bag or a clean, clearly marked barrel. No bag or barrel mixed with trash will be collected. Please no mulch, dirt or sand. Keep Yard Waste bags or barrels 4ft from the Automated Carts on collection day. Branches must be cut and bundled 4ft or less. Thank You
How to contact us:
Department of Roads & Bridges - (401) 822-9110
General Sanitation & Recycling Concerns - (401) 822-9110
Recycling and Solid Waste Coordinator* - (401) 822-6244
*For any questions regarding the new Automated Trash Program CLICK HERE for more information about the program.
We are located directly behind the Town HAll and Library and share a parking lot at
1668 Flat River Road
Fax Number - (401) 822-9141
The Recycling and Solid Waste Coordinator is also available via email . CLICK HERE to send an email now regarding any questions, comments or concerns in reference to the new Automated Trash and Recycling Program.
PLEASE NOTE: STYROFOAM IS NOT RECYCLABLE CURBSIDE. PLEASE SEE http://atoz.rirrc.org/ FOR MORE INFO.
Follow us on Facebook: CLICK HERE
Hours of Operation
Summer hours begin the first Monday after the last day of school. Summer Hours begin on June 13, 2016 and end August 26, 2016
Roads and Bridges/Building Maintenance Divisions
Winter hours 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
Summer hours 6:00 am to 2:30 pm
Winter hours 7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Summer hours 6:00 am to 2:00 pm
Recycling/Solid Waste Coordinator
9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Transfer Station Hours
Monday through Friday
Winter Hours 7:30am-12:00pm and 12:30pm-3:00pm
Summer Hours: 6:30am-12:00pm and 12:30pm-2:00pm
The department of Public Works consists of many different divisions. They are: Engineering, Building Inspector, Roads and Bridges, Snow Removal, Building Maintenance, Sanitation, Sanitary Sewer, Cemetery Maintenance and Vehicle Maintenance. The department is responsible for the engineering, maintenance and construction of Roads and Bridges along with storm water systems, traffic and street signs, winter storm operations and sanitation services.
The Engineering Division provides advisory and inspection services to many different boards and commissions, especially to the Planning Commission. The Engineering Division is located at 1675 Flat River Rd. in the Town Hall Annex Building, in the Planning Department Office. Telephone number (401) 822-9182
The Building Inspector's office is located separately at 1675 Flat River Road, The Town Hall Annex building, but works with the Engineering Division in issuing new building permits, 911 addressing, Minimal Housing, ISDS compliance, subdivision and other regulation compliance, provides review of plans, and inspects construction. The Telephone number is (401) 822-9156
The Building/Facilities Division, which is responsible for the upkeep and general maintenance of all municipal buildings and grounds, with the exception of those belonging to the School Department or Parks and Recreation.
Removal of weekly household garbage and recyclables
The Public Works Department provides curbside removal of household trash and recyclables to over 2000 homes daily.
- On Mondays, we pick up in the western end of town.
- On Tuesdays, we are in the center of town, in the vicinity of the Town Hall and Wood Estates.
- On Wednesdays we go to the northeastern part of town, and
- On Thursdays we go to the southeastern section.
- On Fridays, we are in the area of Hopkins Hill, Arnold Road, and New London Tpk.
With such a large number of houses being collected during the week it is important to us to try to provide the proper information to residents to ensure collection of waste material.
Sanitation Holiday Schedule
Our Sanitation Department observes eleven holidays. During these holidays we are one day delayed on Garbage and Recycling Pickups. These holidays are:
Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, VJ Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
Sanitation services are only provided for single family homes, duplexes, and owner-occupied triplexes. All others must contract for all disposal needs.
- Place curbside no more than 24 hours prior to collection
- Place curbside by 7:00 am on collection day, (6:00 am in Summer)
- Place in Town provided automated trash and recycling carts
- Trash must be bagged or contained, no loose trash in Town provided carts
- Place in an area not obstructed by vehicles, mailboxes or telephone poles
Click "THIS LINK" For Recycling Information
Place curbside by 7:00 am on collection day, (6:00 am in Summer).
- Accepted recycling items are: Mixed Paper, mail, envelopes (windows okay) magazines catalogs, phonebooks, paperbacks, cards, all newspaper, cardboard boxes such as cereal, cracker, or cookie boxes, egg cartons, shoe boxes, gift boxes, tissue boxes, pasta boxes, (frozen food boxes, soda boxes, beer boxes, detergent boxes, or clothing)
- PLEASE NOTE: STYROFOAM IS NOT RECYCLABLE CURBSIDE. PLEASE SEE http://atoz.rirrc.org/ FOR MORE INFO.
We provide collection of bulky household items (such as a couch or refrigerator) which require two people to pick up, by appointment, usually on your regular trash day. Call 822-9110 to schedule an appointment. Please note: we do not pick up construction materials, auto parts, or household hazardous wastes.
We begin collecting lawn and leaf bags starting April 2016 weather permitting.
- Separation of yard waste from garbage is mandatory
- Yard waste is taken to a state licensed composting facility
- Yard waste is picked up curbside in specific paper bags or barrels
- Do not put in any dirt, sand or mulch
- Place at curbside no more than 24 hours before the scheduled pick-up
- If you are unable to wait for our pickup you may bring yard waste to the Transfer Station during our regular hours at no charge
Christmas trees are collected curbside during the month of January. No tinsel, plastic bags, ornaments, lights, or stands. You may also bring them to our transfer station during the hours as listed above. No trees will be collected in plastic bags.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Rhode Island Resource Recovery corporation accepts the following materials: pesticides, herbicides, gasoline, oil-based paints, household solvents, automotive fluids, pool chemicals, photographic chemicals from your home by appointment only. Please Call (401)942-1430 ext. 241 to set up an appointment or to schedule a drop off date.
Transfer Station/Recycling Center
Coventry residents may bring construction materials from home projects to our drop off facility four times per year with proof of residency and the purchase of a Dump Pass for $20.00. The Dump Pass can be purchased at the DPW office Located behind Town Hall.. Also accepted are clothing, paper, metal, tires, batteries, and used motor oil
It should note that an additional charge of $10.00 each for mattresses and /or box springs that are picked up by us at the curb. If you bring Mattresses and or/ box springs to our transfer station they will be free of charge. Any Mattress collected at the curb or brought to our Transfer Station cannot be torn, soiled, wet or infested with bed bugs.
Unfortunately, cash is the only accepted form of payment collected at the DPW Office.