Monday – Friday 3:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
THIS IS A TEMPORARY POSITION WITHOUT BENEFITS.
IT MAY RESULT IN PERMANENT POSITION WITH BENEFITS.
This is varied and responsible –manual work in the cleaning, repair and maintenance of public buildings.
Employees in this class are responsible for the performance of a variety of manual tasks. Work requires the exercise of some initiative in carrying out responsibilities according to established procedures. Work may be performed when the building is occupied and requires the ability to adjust work routines to meet changing circumstances. Assignments are given in the form of oral and written instructions and work is subject to review by a superior for results obtained.
Illustrative examples of work:
- Sweeps, washes and polishes floors.
- Strips and waxes floors.
- Cleans restrooms and replenishes supplies.
- Empties wastebaskets and recycling bins.
- Dusts tables, desks and other furniture.
- Operates a variety of custodial equipment such as scrubbers, polishers, vacuum cleaners, push brooms and mops.
- Washes windows, mirrors and glass doors.
- Cleans HVAC grates, within limits of equipment available.
- Performs related work as required.
- As directed, keeps pedestrian walk-ways free of snow and ice and performs any/all tasks required for winter operations.
Knowledge, abilities and skills:
- Some knowledge of cleaning materials, methods, equipment and procedures.
- Ability to assume responsibility for the cleanliness and custodial care of a small public building.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to carry and move moderately heavy loads and to climb ladders.
- Ability to operate and properly care for light custodial equipment.
- Ability to serve a wide variety of building users courteously and efficiently.
Minimum education and experience:
High School diploma or GED preferred.
Some experience in janitorial or custodial work.
Necessary special requirement:
Possession of a valid Rhode Island Motor Vehicle License.
Starting Salary: $20.55 per hour