The Town of Coventry is requesting proposals from contractors with experience restoring historic structures to clean, prep and paint the historic Read Schoolhouse. Located at the intersection of Flat River Road and Read Schoolhouse Road, Read Schoolhouse is an 18’ x 24’ wood-frame, Greek Revival structure built in 1830. The exterior of the schoolhouse, windows, doors, railings and fencing are in need of repair and paint.
The full RFP with all bid specifications and instructions can be found at the bottom of the posting
In brief, the work solicited by this RFP includes:
- cleaning all siding and trim;
- covering all windows and surrounding landscape in preparation for painting;
- covering all grounds to contain debris;
- scraping and sanding all loose and peeling areas using HEPA system;
- priming all siding;
- applying 2 coats of paint to all siding and trim to match the existing exterior color;
- preparing and painting all window sashes to match front trim;
- preparing and painting front doors;
- preparing and finishing hand railings;
- cleaning up all debris;
- cleaning all fencing and prepare for priming and finish painting.
All historic features will be retained and repaired. Where any elements are beyond repair, or are damaged in the process of repair, they must be replaced-in-kind, with materials and design features matching the original architectural feature.
This project is assisted by a State Preservation Grant from the Rhode Island Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission (RIHPHC). All work must be done in conformance with The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation and will be subject to review and approval of the RIHPHC. All plans and specifications to be approved prior to the commencement of work by the RIHPHC staff architect.